Sunday, September 6, 2009

Chicken is not on the guest list....

I am a huge food fan. My favorite food combo; pizza and wings & football. My favorite food of all time, chicken wings. Morgan's also happens to carry chicken on her list of favorite foods. Due to being sick, I missed the annual Buffalo Wing Festival.




Source

I love this festival! You get to can try tons of different types of wings and sauces from all over. It is SO much fun!! Don't feel too bad for me, Dave brought home wings for dinner that night when he got off work, see why I want to keep him.


It's not just chicken wings I love. I love all chicken. Baked, Grilled, Bar-B-Qued. Chicken however, is not on our menu. Chicken is probably one of the most popular dishes you can have at a wedding, how could we not have it!? Well, there is a reasonable, yet bizarre answer to that question. My Aunt, who I am very close with, is allergic to poultry. Yep, it's the craziest thing. She developed it later in life, in her 20's, so she knows what it tastes like, she just can't have it. Doctors can't explain it, it's just like a peanut allergy but with poultry. The smell of cooking chicken bothers her and ingesting it is a trip to the hospital. I remember one time at Thanksgiving, her future MIL joined us and brought the gravy. Now, we have ham and beef on holidays, if you wanted turkey, you'd drop by a friends house who was sympathetic to our situation and they'd hook you up. Anyway, I digress. So at this meal I was probably 10 or 11, and all of a sudden, my Aunts face was swollen and her hands were starting to swell. She carries an epinephrine syringe for just this purpose and I'm not sure who got it for her, but she was on the ground finally breathing and then off to the ER. Her FMIL thought it was the meat she couldn't have, she thought making turkey gravy would be ok.


So, not only is chicken off the menu, just to be 100% sure there is no contamination, they are making my Aunt her own plate. As of now we are having a buffet, but the catering done at the hotel is done by the restaurant and we don't want to take any chances. Thats the only part of the menu we have so far. We haven't gone in for our meeting about the food yet so we still have the option of doing a sit down. The price is the same, I'm just not sure I want to stick people with food they might not like.


Do you have any food you're not having at the wedding. Are you having trouble deciding between a sit down and buffet?





0 comments: