Monday, August 17, 2009

I love homemade cards!

I love to have any excuse to run into a craft store and purchase something. I doesn't matter what it is, I love buying everything from paper to punches, especially if it's for card making. I'm not very talented by any means, but a lot of factors in my upbringing have helped my become a DIY bride. For example, when there was a project in school to make a famous landmark, yep, I was the kid who brought in the 30 pound Egyptian pyramid made completely out of sugar cubes.
I landed my first job at 16 at a craft store called MJDesigns which is no longer in business. This chain of craft stores was owned by Mike Dupey, the son of the man who brought the world Michael's. I started out doing Christmas help and slowly started doing other things like helping people with the scrap booking needs right when scrapping was just starting to get popular. One of the other things you are required to learn while working at a craft store was how to take a bolt of ribbon and turn it into a bow. Christmas time for us was a mob scene because everyone wanted bows for their trees and packages and wreaths. You name it they wanted it. The tough part would be coming home from a long day at work and every in your family knowing you have this ability and need you to whip up a few dozen for them. Exhausting work and tough on the hands.
Thanks to my past, I will be able to put some things together for our wedding instead of having to spend the money on it. I'll be doing my own pew bows with the help of one of my bridesmaids who also suffered through the making of countless bows along with me at the floral counter. I've also started getting into making cards. My grandmother hasn't bought a card in years and when I moved back to NY from VA, I started learning to make cards. I cannot believe how many cool things you can do with some paper, a few stamps and some scissor that cut paper in the craziest ways. I actually did a Valentines Day swap on one of the wedding websites I follow called Weddingbee.



Cute aren't they. With this new found ability of mine I've decided to also tackle making my own Save the Dates & wedding invitations. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do, but I've got a few ideas bouncing around in my head.
Did you have any crafting experiences before you started planning for your wedding?

0 comments: