Saturday, January 16, 2010

Mommy Doesn't Want Cake On Her Pretty White Dress: Part 1

My 3 year old has gotten pretty good at getting food into her mouth instead of everywhere else. There are still moments when she can make a complete hot-mess of herself. I've written to Mars to let them know that M&M's absolutely DO melt in your hands, and then get all over everything. I am still waiting for a response from them. Even though hugs and kisses from Miss Morgan are my favorite things in the entire world, I don't really want to have little finger prints of ketchup & butter all over my white dress. Here are just a few examples of just how messy my little monkey can get.

First Birthday, Cake


18 moths, Oreo cookie




3, Blue Cake



 I need to have wipes at the table but I don't want a big, bulky, plastic container sitting in the way. Instead I started brain-storming;  how can I make the wipes blend in with the table decorations? I came up with two ideas and  I wanted to do a mock up of them to see how it would look, and if it would even work. I had 2 different containers with different opening mechanisms and textures. I decided to paint container #1.



Since the colors are all wrong, (it's pale-purple with grey), I went ahead and painted it black with acrylic paint. I didn't put a sealant on here either since it is just a dress rehearsal before I do the real deal. The part I like most about this box, it's SO easy to open, you push the button, the top pops open and voilĂ , you have your wipes. It's also nice and small and won't get in anyone's way.



I grabbed 2 different sizes of ribbon to decorate the outside of the box. I used the thicker ribbon along the side. I used really thin glue dots to attach it so that it wouldn't show a dark spot on the ribbon, and there wouldn't be a noticeable lump. I also stuck a bow on the front of it with the smaller ribbon. I know the seam is showing, but it's just a practice and I can work on hiding that better later..






I'm glad I did do a run through with this because it gave me a chance to see what will and will not work.  The ribbon around the font and sides is just too thick. The bow on the front is also completely washed out. I could keep the thick ribbon on there and put maybe a strip of black ribbon down the middle. If I do go with this one, I will most likely use a thinner ribbon and maybe a black bow. Next I wanted to put our initials on the top and I used the old school method that Mrs. Gloss of Weddingbee broke down for us here.




And after I transferred our letters I painted them in white.



I have to admit, if I didn't have a messy little eater of my own, I probably wouldn't have thought of doing something like this. My Aunt and Uncle will have Morgan and my 1 year old nephew at their table. I also plan on putting a cute pink & black bag together for my Aunt to use in place of the bag I normally tote around with all of her necessities. My normal bring-a-long bag is pretty bulky and it's another reason to add another project to my list. :) I really like the way this turned out. I know I would change the ribbon and put some kind of sealer on it to give it a nice shine. I also have considered using crystals for our letters on top instead of white paint. Next up, box #2 where I try it again using fabric.

Are you doing anything for your messiest little guests?







0 comments: